Tuesday 31 January 2012

Compliments

I am not one to take compliments too well. From what I see, most of us will politely grin, utter a "thank you" and be a bit awkward. I think it depends a lot on who the compliment comes from and whether we think we deserve it. Me, I am much better at it if the compliment addresses conscious efforts on my part- say something I've written, done; I am considerably less swave if my looks are complimented, because, ultiametely, I feel that I haven't done anything to deserve it.

A few nights ago, I was on my way home after a night out. Two corners away from my front door, a few gay bars entertain the neighbours. I peeked into one of them, felt a bit awkward to be going in there alone and not dressed for the gay occasion (my two personalities are clashing lately, the straight one has the upper hand at the moment) so I passed by. Steps away, two gentlemen, upon seeing me, stopped dead and one of them, before I can warn him that I speak no Dutch, said in English: "Oh, huney, I love your style!"
Needless to say, I was so flattered!

I figured, I am in no position to refuse the friendliness of people, so, when they asked me if i wanted to hang out with them in Strano, of course I said yes. It was a brief but nice time spent with a couple of strangers. As stereotyped as it may be, a compliment from someone who has no desire to get into your pants, feels lovely.

Maybe some of you will disagree, better to be complimented by those who we have a chance to be with?

No comments:

Post a Comment