Monday 31 October 2011

Hot chocolate and lemon cake

It is Halloween eve in Rotterdam. To me, it is also Deadline eve, so in an attempt to kick start my brain's creativity, I've retreated to a cosy Caffe and Pattisserie near my home, which carries an indescribable feeling of nostalgia in the air. I first came here 10 days ago, just after seeing Midnight in Paris, and the space was a real-life continuation of the film- it's like different times and spaces meet here, it is cosmopolitan, yet very local; it is big but it feels like each table is made just for you. It has that je ne sais quoi. 
And they make the most unbelievable hot chocolate- served with a separate dish of whipped cream to dip. Mmm.
As I sit and try to organise my thoughts, on my left a gentleman sat. He must be around- let me look again- around 60. He ordered in Dutch and soon they brought him coffee and a slice of lemon cake. And as I see him read a newspaper, enjoy the cake and then wash down the slight zest with good coffee, I was overwhelmed with such warmth. Warmth, firstly, towards him, and an appreciation of age, a desire to be as calm and distinguished as he seems, when I am 60. To be able to afford to go out to a caffe on a monday evening for a slice of cake.
If you think about it, ultimately, all we ever want is in this picture. Health, enough means to live calmly, inner peace and a piece of cake. That is all I want for my 60th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment